Cat No.: AU5026:
The township of Gawler was established through an application for a Special Survey by Henry Dundas Murray and John Reid as part of a syndicate of 12. The site was recommended for a town by Colonel William Light to David McLaren (the manager of the South Australian Company) when they passed through the district while returning from the Barossa in January 1839.
This early history by the well known George Loyau contains a wealth of information on it early years.
Outline of Contents
The Foundation of Gawler—Position—Early Days—Governor Gawler—Dr. Nott's Account of The Rise And Progress of the Town Up to 1860
General Progress From 1860 to 1880
Murray-Street On Saturday Night
The Streets—Number of Businesses—Description of Hotels
Fotheringham's Brewery—Fotheringham's Cordial Factory
Postal Arrangements, Past and Present
The Gawler Corporation
The Neville and Adamson Tragedy
Horticultural and Agricultural Progress. Gardens Round Gawler
The Park Lands
The Old Bushman Sale Yards
Amusements and Social Life
The Public School and Education
Places of Worship
The Humbug Society
Old Residents, Living and Dead
Includes many photos of people and houses and other buildings
The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names, places and more.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book.
No. of CDs is: 1 ; Format is: PDF ; Searchable?: YES;
FastFind: Yes; ISBN No.: 9781921081071;