Pigot's 1828-9 Directory of Durham (with map)


Cat No.:   GB0879:

A very early and rare directory which covers the market towns and principal villages of the county (Please note that smaller villages and hamlets are not included). The descriptions of each place are excellent with lots of details about schools, hospitals, churches and other institutions plus detailed histories and directories of the nobility, gentry, clergy and classified directories of tradespeople. Also included is an excellent county map.

No. of CDs is:  1 ;   Format is:  PDF ;   Searchable?:  ;

FastFind:  No;  ISBN No.:   unavailable;


The places included in this directory are;

Barnard Castle, Bishop Auckland (with West Auckland, St Helen and St Andrew Aucklands), Chester-le-Street and Great Lumley, Darlington (with Coniscliffe, Piersebridge and Haughton-le-Skerne), Durham, Hartlepool (with Stranton, Seaton and Hart), Houghton-le-Spring (with Hetton-le-Hole, Newbottle and East & West Rainton), Middleton-in-Teesdale, Middleton-one-Row (with Dinsdal, Hurworth and Neasham), St john's Chapel, Sedgefield (with Bishops-Middleham, Bishopston, Trimdon and Fishburn, Shotton (with Easington and Castle Eden), South Shields (with Jarrow and Harton), Staindrop (with Gainford and Winston), Stanhope and Frosterley, Stockton-upon-Tees (with Norton, Eaglescliffe and Sadberge), Sunderland (with Bishop-Wearmouth and Monk-Wearmouth), Whickham (with Winlaton, Swalwell, Ryton, Blaydon and Stella), Wolsingham (with Witton-le-Wear and Lanchester), Wolviston (with Greatham and Billingham).