Cat No.: AU2113-1847:
No of pages in original: 314pp
Year published: (1847)
Low's Directory of Sydney 1847, contains much information for anyone wishing to know about the people and society of Sydney as it was in 1847.
Divided into various sections:
• City of Sydney Directory - lists residents alphabetically by surname, together with occupation and street address.
• District of Sydney Directory - lists residents alphabetically by surname, together with occupation and street address, usually with suburb.
• Classification of Trades - lists trades alphabetically, together with each persons name under their trade.
• Colony of New South Wales - details of the heads of government departments, council members, banks, churches, societies and institutions, colleges and schools, sports clubs, transport companies, postal information. Also includes fees for nearly everything, by-laws for the City of Sydney, markets and rules for market stall-holders.
• Chronology of Remarkable Events - starting at 1770 when the coast was first discovered by Captain Cook, and continues through until 1846. It contains details of ship arrivals and prominent individuals, natural disasters, when churches were built, court cases, appointments, public meetings, the 22 foot snake, when the Sydney Morning Herald was first published ... and thousands more anecdotes. This makes for an interesting read just in itself.
• Adverts - the last 50+ pages of the book are filled with adverts for local businesses, which are great for learning more about the society of the time.
This CD makes the information readily available and affordable for all historians with an interest in the history of Sydney and New South Wales.
No. of CDs is: 1 ; Format is: PDF ; Searchable?: YES;
FastFind: Yes; ISBN No.: 9781921494444;