Cat No.: AU2020:
No of pages in original: 192pp
Year published: (1908)
Author/Compiler: Leonard Samuel Curtis
Broken Hill is young compared to some parts of Australia. It was born at the end of September 1883 when Charles Rasp "pegged out" the original seven blocks of the Proprietary Company, and thus laid the foundation stone of the Great Silver and future Lead-Zinc City.
At that time the "Broken Hill" was a portion of Mount Gipps sheep run, dense with mulga scrub and salt-bush. inhabited by kangaroos. wallabys, and wild fowl. In time it became the second city of the State - one of the wonders of the world - supporting 40,000 inhabitants - possessing the greatest Silver-Lead-Zinc mines on the earth.
This history written in 1908 to record the "Rise and Progress" of the town is a wonderful record of how far the town had come in such a short space of time. Covering the topics of council, churches, schools, newspapers, banks, tramway company, hospital, orphanage, ambulance, societies and associations, fire brigade, and sporting clubs.
You could not write a history of Broken Hill, without writing about the mines, and those involved with them. The following are all mentioned in detail, and list the directors and officers of each company together with photographs.
• Broken Hill Proprietary Company (BHP)
• South Silver Mining Company
• Broken Hill Proprietary Block 10 Company
• Broken Hill Proprietary Block 14 Company
• Broken Hill 'Junction' Mining Company
• Broken Hill 'Junction North' Silver Mining Company
• North Broken Hill Mining Company
• Broken Hill South Blocks Ltd
• Broken Hill Extended Ltd
• The Zinc Corporation Ltd
• DeBavay's Treatment Company Ltd
Complete with many photographs of individuals, scenes, and the mines, this is an important account of Broken Hill's history.
No. of CDs is: 1 ; Format is: PDF ; Searchable?: YES;
FastFind: Yes; ISBN No.: 9781921461019;