Parish Register Society of Dublin, Marriage Entries of the Parishes of S. Marie, S. Luke, S. Catherine and S. Werburgh, 1627-1800. 1915

$18.50

Cat No.:   IE0356:

Printed for the Parish Register Society of Dublin by William Pollard & Co., and first published in 1915 is volume XII of the series, the Marriage Entries in the Registers of the Parishes of St. Marie, St. Luke, St. Catherine & St. Werburgh, 1627-1800 Republished here on fully-searchable CD-Rom the these Marriage Records are the most complete that are available with missing entries from the originals being supplemented by the editor with records from the Dublin Grant Book, Prerogative Grant Book and annual Returns from Visitations and in the case of St. Werburgh from entries located in an Ms. Bible in Trinity College, Dublin.

By Act of Parliament in 1875 the parish registers of the Established Church of Ireland were placed under the Control of the Master of the Rolls. However, by the time of the publication of volume I of the Parish Register Society in 1906, one of the main conditions of the Act, namely the concentration, collection and depositing of the parish registers of the former Established Church in the Public Record Office of Ireland in Dublin, had not taken place. In a sense and with hindsight this transpired to be fortuitous as many of the parochial records that did find their way to the Public Record Office were destroyed in the infamous 1922 fire. In line with the formation of a number of Parish Register Societies in England, it was deemed necessary by the founding members of the Parish Register Society of Dublin to make publicly available the older and more important surviving parish registers of the Established Church of Ireland, beginning with the oldest in the country, those of Dublin City, for the valuable work undertaken by genealogists and local and family historians.

There would appear to have been no obligation to keep parish registers in Ireland until the Canon of 1634, although there had been an abortive attempt to introduce a form of public registration as early as 1617. However, this was discontinued in 1620 in a row over fees, the year after the commencement of the St. John's registers, the oldest surviving parish registers in Ireland. The Canon of 1634 required every parish and chapel in Ireland to keep a book wherein must be written the day and year of every Christening, marriage and burial. The Canon does no appear to have been strictly enforced as no registers in Ireland begin immediately after the date of instruction. Only two registers in Ireland pre-date the Canon, that of St. John's and St. Brigid, Dublin and in only five other instances are registers known to pre-date 1642.

Republished here are the entries from the Marriage Registers for the Parish of St. Marie, for the periods 1697-1800. These have been annotated by the editor and cross-referenced to the Dublin Grant Book as well as the Prerogative Grant Book. Entries not present in the Registers were located in the Returns of Visitations and they have been added to this publication making the entries in this publication more complete than the original registers alone. The republished Marriage Register for the Parish of St. Luke date from 1716 to 1800 and begin at the point of the foundation and consecration of the Church when it was separated from the parish of St. Nicholas Without. In most instances the street address of the bride is given and in many instances the parish of residence of one or both parties. The republished Marriage Register for the Parish of St. Catherine date from 1715 to 1800 and are a continuation of the records for the parish published in volume V by the Parish Register Society of Dublin. Entries for the periods 1788 to 1792 are absent from the original Register, but this gap has been filled by the editor using the annual Returns of Visitations, making this publication once again more complete that the original Registers. The Marriage Register for St. Werburgh cover the periods 1704 to 1800, with one page of additional entries for the years 1640 to 1663 taken from entries found by the editor in an Ms. Bible in Trinity College, Dublin. The Republication of this number in the series of the Parish Register Society of Dublin remains as relevant to the genealogist and family historian today as they were when the registers were first published. 

No. of CDs is:  1 ;   Format is:  PDF ;   Searchable?:  YES;

FastFind:  No;  ISBN No.:   unavailable;