Cat No.: AU4033:
No of pages in original: 285pp
Year published: (1898)
Port Curtis was originally settled in 1847 as a penal colony by the New South Wales government, but was abandoned in 1848. The area was resettled by free settlers in 1853, and in 1863 it became a municipality, and was renamed Gladstone after William Ewart Gladstone, the British Colonial Secretary (and later British Prime Minister) who was dealing with the process of setting up the new colony in Northern Australia.
The township developed on the site of the original penal colony and for some time it was promoted as a future capital for the newly established colony of Queensland.
The 'Gladstone Colony: An Unwritten Chapter of Australian History' was written in 1898, and covers the town's history up until the time of publication. A wonderful record of the history of this Queensland city, you will find information on the founding of the town, as well as its growth and development, together with details of pioneer squatters, the gold rush as well as details of Gladstone as it was in 1898 and plenty more.
This historical record available on fully-searchable CD will be useful not only for those with connections to the pioneers of the region, but also those who are interested in the social history of Gladstone.
No. of CDs is: 1 ; Format is: PDF ; Searchable?: YES;
FastFind: Yes; ISBN No.: 9781921494031;